Monday, March 8, 2010

Pre-Reading Blog #3

"True or False: Schools Fail Immigrants"

At first I searched for Richard Rothstein on Wikipedia, but I was unable to find anything for him. So I decided to "Google" him. I found out that Richard is a research associate of the Economic Policy Institute. However, He used to be the national columnist for The New York Times. While researching him I also realized that he has written many books and articles from 1990-2009. Some of the titles are: "Grading Education: Getting Accountability Right (Teachers College Press and EPI, 2008) and Class and Schools: Using Social, Economic and Educational Reform to Close the Black-White Achievement Gap (Teachers College Press 2004). He is also the author of The Way We Were? Myths and Realities of America's Student Achievement (1998). Other recent books include The Charter School Dust-Up: Examining the Evidence on Enrollment and Achievement (co-authored in 2005); and All Else Equal. Are Public and Private Schools Different? (co-authored in 2003)." It became very clear to me that much of Rothstein's writtings revolved around race, equality, class, and immigrants. I then search for his article "True or False: Schools Fail Immigrants." It was origionally published in the New York Times in 2001. Due to the title and his past books and articles I believe that this essay will be about issues with the school systems failing immigrants. It will probably be a very well written essay due to his experience as a writer and with this topic in particular.

"It's All About Him"

I flipped through our book and it says that David Von Drehle is currently working as a senior writer at the Washington Post. He has also been a national political writer, a magazine stff writer, a New York bureau chief, and assistant managing editor! I then continued to search for him on the Internet. I found that most of his books are about criminals or crime or violence. He seems to be a very dramatic writer which makes things interesting. With the title being "It's All About Him", I think it will be about the criminals and what they think and why they do what they do. Or maybe it will be just focused on one specific case. Im not quite sure. But I do think it will be a esay/interesting read fo the most part. I look forward to reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment